Planning your stay in Greenland

Greenland is not a part of EU/EEA, neither is in a Schengen zone. This means that there are special rules regarding your stay in Greenland. You should make sure that you follow the rules and prepare your trip well in advance.

Nordic citizens
Citizens of Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Iceland are free to enter, reside, study and work in Greenland. You can enter the country without a passport, but you should always keep an identity document with you.

EU/EEA citizens
EU/EEA citizens are obliged to apply for a Greenlandic residence permit if they are going to stay in Greenland for the study purposes. This is relevant for both Exchange students and MSc students.

NON EU/EEA citizens
NON EU/EEA citizens are required to apply for a residence permit if they want to travel and reside in Greenland. Please note that a Danish residence permit does not give you the right to enter Greenland.
It is important that you apply for the residence permit before you come to Greenland. However, if you are planning to travel to Greenland before your Greenlandic residence permit is issued, you need to check whether your current passport allows you to enter the country. Citizens of some countries are requested to have a visa to enter the country.

DTU will initiate the residence permit/visa application for the students of the Arctic Semester and the application process is online. The processing time is usually 60 working days. It is the student’s own responsibility to make sure that all documentation is in place.